BY JACK CLIFTON @jackyboi90
McDonald’s has released a statement saying that Ronald McDonald will keep a low profile due to the recent spate of “clown hoaxes”.
“McDonald’s and franchisees in the local markets are mindful of the current climate around clown sightings in communities and as such are being thoughtful in respect to Ronald McDonald’s participation in community events for the time being,” the statement said.
The decision was made after “clown purges” gripped the US, UK and Australia in recent weeks.
To make matters worse, there was a sighting of a frightening Ronald McDonald look-alike staring intently through the window of a McDonald’s restaurant in the UK. The video, which was posted to Facebook, has terrified many viewers. Police have even become involved as the number of sightings increases.
McDonald’s is avoiding media attention after the company was criticised for firing transgender teenager Kenny Cooley three weeks ago. Cooley had become the first transgender player on his local football team, and told the Halifax Metro that media attention was one of the reasons he had been dismissed.
NBC reported that McDonald’s has not yet said how often Ronald will appear in public.
Some social media users were appalled by the decision, saying the issue has been taken too far by the McDonald’s PR department and tweeting in defence of the hamburger chain’s clown.
— ginger maddox (@gingercbsmaddox) October 11, 2016
Ronald McDonald first appeared in TV ads for the fast food restaurants in 1963. He has since appeared in his own animated TV show, comics and children’s books.
McDonald’s TV ad, 1984